UF/IFAS Equine Sciences Center
Established in 1969, this nutritional and reproductive research facility is a 320-acre complex located 7 miles north of Ocala in Marion County, the center of Florida's horse breeding industry. The unit provides the following facilities for research on problems important to the horse industry:
- Mare barn with laboratory, 22 stalls, 2 sets of stocks, feed room, office, weight scales, foaling sheds, holding paddocks and wash stalls for sales prepping.
- Laboratory complex with 3 laboratories, classroom/conference room, 2 sets of stocks, European hot walker, feed storage room, barn with 4 dry lot paddocks, weight scales, 1 teasing chute and phantom.
- Open mare breeding facility with laboratory, holding pens, 2 sets of stocks, 2 light pens, 1 teasing chute and stallion teasing paddock.
- 3 one-acre stallion paddocks with shelters.
- Farm Manager's residence.
- Residential double wide trailer for 3 UF students.
- Residential single wide trailer for temporary students.
The Ocala unit maintains a breeding herd of about 20 Thoroughbred and 30 Quarter Horse mares and 1 stallion. Thoroughbred weanlings and yearlings are either sold privately through the ESC or through the Ocala Breeders Sales annual August yearlings sale. Quarter Horses are sold as 2 year olds under saddle by the UF/IFAS Horse Teaching Unit in Gainesville through the annual Performance Sealed Bid Sale.
Primary research efforts conducted at the center are:
- Nutritional factors influencing skeletal development in growing horses - emphasis is on trace mineral levels, mineral interrelationships, and bone mineral content.
- Mechanisms of seasonal reproduction in mares - key effort is to develop tools to control the springtime transition of reproductive activity.
7am-4pm Monday - Friday
Visitors by appointment only
2655 NW 100th Street
Ocala, FL 34475
Tel & Fax: (352) 622-7084
Farm Mgr: (352) 538-4348
I75 to exit #358
East on SR326 to lights
Turn left on CR25A
Go 2 miles ( past Ocala Speedway)
Turn right after BP gas station onto NW 100th St
Go straight approx 1 mile
ESC on left at top of hill.
Take 441 South
441 joins with 301
At Martin / Anthony sign, turn right onto NW 100th St
ESC on right approx 1 mile