Techniques In Farrier Science
This course will teach the student to evaluate and trim the horse’s hoof and develop a working knowledge of corrective farrier techniques.
- To gain an understanding of hoof growth and development. Students will learn the parts of a foot and their function.
- To develop skills in trimming a hoof. This will include learning proper balance and angle as well as learning different trim styles.
- Recognizing the properly shod horse. Students will be exposed to the shaping of shoes and proper nailing practices.
- To understand logical progression in dealing with hooves in problem horses. This will include dealing with problems as they arise in young horses and correcting problems in older horses.
- To develop an understanding of methods of restraint, their uses and proper application.
Dr. Ed Johnson
Course Schedule and Location
TH, 9:00 - 11:00 AM
Farrier Area & Classroom
Arena Teaching Complex
Horse Teaching Unit
1934 SW 63rd Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608