Ranch Horse Management
Management and use of horses in cow-calf, stocker and feedlot operations.
Students must have a demonstrated career interest in the cattle industry. Students must also be able to display adequate horse riding skills.
- This course is designed to give beef/equine oriented students an opportunity to understand how horses are best utilized by cow-calf, stocker and feedlot operations.
- Students will develop and improve skills used by ranches employing horses on a daily basis.
- Students will learn about managing horses with cattle.
- Ranch horse safety and the affects of employee injury on Worker’s Comp costs will be examined.
- Class participants will learn about horse utilization and management by different types of operations.
- Students will have an opportunity to learn how horses are used by ranches in different parts of the country.
- Students will develop skills and experience necessary for a successful Internship.
- Ranch horse safety
- Horse psychology & training
- Saddle fitting and tack selection
- Feeds & nutritional management for ranch horses
( Dr. Lori Warren)
- Shoeing and hoof care for work horses
( Dr. Ed Johnson)
- Cattle behavior and flight zones
- Starting horses on cattle and cattle on horses
- Trailering and hauling horses with cattle
- Utilizing dogs with horses
- Breeding and selection for ranch horses
- Creating value in a ranch horse
- Managing risk on the ranch, workplace safety and worker’s comp
- Gathering, sorting and moving cattle in a pasture
- Moving cattle in a lane
- Roping in a pen
- Roping & doctoring in the pasture
Course Schedule and Location
Odd Years Only
Horse Teaching Unit
1934 SW 63rd Ave
Gainesville, FL 32608