April 18, 2015
UF Meats Processing Center, Gainesville
State Contest Entry form, 2015
- 4-H/FFA Livestock & Meats Evaluation Clinic, Jan. 2013
- Am. Meat Science Association Judging Info/Help
- 4-H Judging Section
- Other Meat Judging Resources
- 4-H Retail Cuts ID:
- SR Judging Card (pdf) - (using FFA card)
- INT Judging Card (pdf) - (using FFA card)
- Retail ID Codes Key (pdf) - New for 2012
- Retail ID Pictures and Descriptions (pdf) - 2012 codes
(Linked from "Other Meat Judging Resources" page.)
The 2015 State 4-H Meats Judging Contest will be held at the UF Meat Science Lab in the Animal Sciences Building in Gainesville on April 18, 2015, starting at 9:00 a.m. (check-in at 8:30 a.m.). Content for each division of the contest includes:
Senior Division (14 & over)
The Senior contest will consist of Retail ID’s, seven or eight classes of cuts and/or carcasses, and two sets of questions (no oral reasons). The winning senior team is eligible to compete at the National 4-H Meats Judging Contest at Kansas State University in Manhattan, KS (November). The second place team may compete in the Western Nationals in Denver, CO (January).
Intermediate Division (11-13)
The Intermediate contest will consist of Retail ID’s, four classes of retail cuts, 25 questionss from the questions pool, and identifying anatomical locations on a beef and pork carcass (no oral reasons).
We will use the same Retail ID codes as the National contest. Follow the links for the 4-H Meat Retail Cut Identification Codes. The cooking codes on this list are correct; if you have a booklet that lists different cooking codes, use these instead. There was be a new Retail ID answer sheet beginning in '12 so keep checking here for a sample.
Counties may enter one Senior team of up to four members (14 and older as of Sept. 1, 2014) and one Intermediate team (11 through 13 as of Sept. 1, 2014). Please register by returning this form by April 10. There is no entry fee for this contest. Registered counties will be listed here so you can check to confirm that your entry has been received.
Participants in the state contest need to remember to dress appropriately for extended periods in the Meat Lab coolers. Please refer to the information below for details on the dress code and processing area rules. The 4-H’er is responsible for bringing all necessary wardrobe as it will not be provided at the contest. If contestants or coaches are not properly dressed, they will not be allowed in the contest.
There are plenty of motels in the area. Any of the motels on the Archer Road exit, Williston Road exit, or South 13th Street would be convenient.
Meat Judging Contest Dress Codes
The U.S.D.A. has a thorough inspection system for meat processing plants. Even though we are an educational facility, we still fall under these stringent regulations. Furthermore, we whole heartily believe that these rules will help ensure the consumer of safer foods.
Following is the dress code and procedures that must be followed by contestants as well as advisors and leaders:
- Frocks, hard hats, shirts with sleeves, closed toe shoes, and long pants will be worn in all processing areas. No bump caps or cloth caps are allowed. Clothing and shoes must be clean.
- Frocks will not be worn outside the building or in the restrooms. Frocks should not be set on the ground and should be kept folded. (You should carry your frock until you are instructed to put it on after the orientation and assigning of groups.)
- No jewelry will be allowed in processing areas. This includes rings, ear rings, and necklaces.
- Hair nets will be worn. Beard nets will be provided.
- No tobacco products will be allowed in the Meat Processing Center. No food, gum, or drinks will be allowed in meat processing areas.
- Glass items will not be brought into processing areas.
- Hands will be washed with antimicrobial soap after visiting the restroom and before entering the processing area.
- Back to Youth / 4-H Programs
- Registration Form
- Entries Received
- Meat Retail Cut Identification Codes
- Retail ID answer sheet
- Meat Judging Resources
- Directions to Animal Sciences Building
- Help with Judging Cards
- Gainesville Motels
- National 4-H Meat Evaluation & ID Contest (KS)
- Western National 4-H Meats Judging (CO)
- 2002 Retail ID (PowerPoint)
- 2001 Retail ID (PowerPoint)
- Beef Carcasses (PowerPoint)
- Beef Ribs (PowerPoint)
- Beef Rounds (PowerPoint)
- More Meats Judging Practice Classes